Meaning of HIV Test
HIV is an abbreviated form of ‘Human Immune deficiency Virus’, an enduring ailment, but you can still live happy by developing a strong will. You should not be upset even if your doctor recommends you for an HIV test, as you can still survive by availing proper treatment, medication, and staying happy.
Why should you go for an HIV test?
Every individual between the ages of 13 to 64 years must go for HIV testing as per the guidelines of Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDCP). People with the higher risk of HIV infection should get tested every 6 months or every year.
Some factors that increase the risk of HIV infection are as follows:
- Sharing infected syringes/needles
- Having unprotected sex
- Suffering from tuberculosis or hepatitis
- Suffering from sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), such as syphilis
You need to talk to your healthcare provider if you are suffering from any above situation to confirm how often you should take the test.
Where to get HIV tested?
There are a number of places from where you can get HIV tested, like:
- Youth drop-in center
- Health clinics and hospitals
- HIV online test
- AIDS service organization
- Community health centers
The most time saving, quick and hassle-free way is to get HIV test online. Some of the trusted online companies like TESTD™ deliver result with the fastest possible turnaround times.
Different types of HIV test and how do they get conducted?
- HIV Antibody Test: Antibodies are proteins generated by the body to fight against different diseases. HIV Antibody test examines the antibodies in blood, urine, saliva and different fluids of mouth. When the person is producing enough antibodies against HIV before getting infected is the Window Period.
- Nucleic Acid Tests (NATs): NATs looks for HIV in blood and detects HIV infection about 7-28 days after a person has been infected with HIV. It’s expensive than other methods of HIV testing and not used unless the person had a higher risk of exposure to the early symptoms of HIV infection.
- Combined Test (Antibodies/Antigens Test): This test can detect both HIV antibodies and antigens (part of the virus). It can take up to 6 weeks for a person to produce enough antigens & antibodies for a combination test to detect HIV infection in the blood.
- TESTD™ provides 5th generation HIV testing, which is the latest technology available. The test seeks to detect both antigens and antibodies. The test can detect HIV antigens (p24) as early as 10 days after exposure but it should be followed up with a 28 day HIV duo test.
- Rapid HIV Test: This test is useful for instant evaluation of result as it delivers result in few minutes after testing the blood specimen. These tests are more reliable than laboratory tests and have accuracy level as high as that of the standard test, but it has slightly higher chances of giving a false report.
- Standard HIV Test: This method of testing is used for routine evaluation or during the unavailability of the rapid test. Standard HIV Test takes around four to five days to deliver the results whereas Rapid HIV Test delivers the result within a few minutes. For more information: visit our blog. Follow us on Facebook or Twitter.